Anyone else baking up a storm this summer? We’re adding this festive dessert from Art of the Pie’s Kate McDermott to our 4th of July baking list. Her new book, Pie Camp: The Skills You Need to Make Any Pie You Want (Countryman Press) will be released October 6, 2020. This is most certainly a go-to Blueberry Pie Recipe for the 4th of July!
Fourth of July Blueberry Pie
- 1 recipe Art of the Pie Dough double crust pie dough
- 6 cups sweet blueberries fresh or frozen
- 3/4 cups sugar plus 1-2 teaspoons more for sprinkling the top
- small pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur like Cointreau or zest of one small organic orange (optional)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon quick cooking tapioca
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg white mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Put blueberries, sugar, nutmeg, salt, optional orange liqueur or citrus zest, flour, and quick cooking tapioca in a big bowl, and mix lightly until the fruit is coated.
- Roll out the bottom dough and place in your pie pan.
- Add the blueberry filling and dot with little pieces of butter…if you remember. (I always seem to forget the butter!)
- Roll out remaining dough, lay over the fruit, and cut 5 to 6 vents on top, or cut strips and make a lattice top.
- Trim excess dough from edges and crimp.
- Brush crust with some egg white wash and sprinkle evenly and lightly with 1-2 teaspoons of sugar.
- If it’s a hot day, place pie in refrigerator to chill while oven is preheating to 425°F.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 425F. Reduce heat to 350F and bake for 35-40 minutes more.
- Look for the steady bubbling of the fruit filling through the vents or lattice work to make sure the filling is fully cooked.
Be sure to taste the fruit and adjust the sugar and seasoning accordingly.
Add a few strawberries under the crust for a red, white, and blue delight!
As originally seen on The Local Moms Network.
Kirsten Pierce, certified registered nurse anesthetist, mother to two amazing children, wife of an incredible husband and dog-mom of two fur babies, a Great Dane named Finnegan and a Lab mix named Layla. Besides her role of ‘super mom,’ Kirsten has now added the...
Recently, we shared all about our favorite new kids’ fashion find, Rockets of Awesome. It is a mom-founded brand of adorable clothes that can be bought online and through their time-saving subscription model. We’re still stocking up on festive holiday looks and...
This cocktail was shared by Lindsay Wernert Potter, the cocktail contributor for Greenwich Moms, from local restaurant Little Pub. Want to sip on something more festive this season than a Cab? Try mixing up this Fall cocktail. It uses cinnamon sticks, fresh apples and...