Kate McDermott, author of Art of the Pie, was a finalist for the prestigious James Beard award for chefs. She’s also mom to Duncan, 32, who started baking with her as a toddler. This classic pumpkin pie is a family favorite for Thanksgiving. Her secret, expert tip? It should have a slight jiggle in the middle which will set as it cools.
Makes one 9-inch shallow pie
1 recipe single-crust pie dough
3 eggs, lightly beaten
One 15-ounce can (about 2 cups or 425 grams) pumpkin
1 cup canned lite coconut milk or evaporated milk
¾ cup (150 grams) sugar (equal parts white and packed brown sugar)
½ teaspoon (3 grams) salt
1 teaspoon (2 grams) cinnamon
1 teaspoon (2 grams) ginger
¼ teaspoon (.25 gram) freshly ground nutmeg
A tiny pinch of ground clove
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Roll out a pie shell and place it in a pie pan. Trim excess dough from the edges and crimp.
- Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl until they are light-colored and fluffy. Stir in the pumpkin, coconut milk, sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and clove until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the filling into the pan. Place the pie in the oven and turn down immediately to 375°F. Bake for approximately 50 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and set on a rack to cool completely.
Credit: “Excerpted from The Art of the Pie: A Practical Guide to Homemade Crusts, Fillings, and Life. Text copyright 2016 by Kathleen L. McDermott, photograph copyright 2015 by Andrew Scrivani. Reproduced by permission of The Countryman Press. All rights reserved.”
This story was originally published on The Local Moms Network.
School’s finally out for summer, but for parents, it’s just about time to start thinking ahead to Back to School! Making a game plan now for August and September, including ordering some key supplies including Name Bubbles.
Learn how to fundraise with Shoott!
Kirsten Pierce, certified registered nurse anesthetist, mother to two amazing children, wife of an incredible husband and dog-mom of two fur babies, a Great Dane named Finnegan and a Lab mix named Layla. Besides her role of ‘super mom,’ Kirsten has now added the...